Chicken Waffle Appetizer to Impress Party Guests
Have you jumped on the chicken waffle bandwagon yet? If not, you’re missing out. And don’t worry – if there’s not a cool joint down the street that sells chicken waffles, you can make your own bite-sized ones to impress your guests at your next party. The combination of deliciously seasoned fried chicken and sweet waffles will have everyone abuzz.
Here’s what you need to make them:
-Oil for frying (Canola or Peanut)
-1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
-2 tbsp cornstarch
-1 tsp cayenne pepper
-1 tbsp dried Italain herb seasoning
-2 tsp salt
-1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
-1 cup buttermilk
-1 1/2 pounds of chicken tenders (cut into 1″ pieces)
-Hot sauce, to taste
Here’s what you do:
- Heat 3 inches of oil in a deep, medium-sized pot until the thermometer reads 350 degrees.
- Make your waffles while the oil heats up. Then cut your waffles into bite-sized squares (about an inch wide). Put them in a 250 degree oven to keep them warm.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, cayenne pepper, Italian herb seasoning, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, pour the buttermilk.
- Toss chicken pieces first in the flour mixture to coat, then into the buttermilk. Finally return to the flour mixture and toss to evenly coat.
- In batches, cook breaded chicken in the hot frying oil. (Be sure not to overfill the pot with a lot of chicken at once). Fry chicken until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Chicken will float on the surface of the oil when it’s done.
- Remove chicken from the oil and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Let cool a bit, then place a piece of chicken on each waffle square. Secure with toothpicks and serve to hungry guests!