You’ve heard of breakfast for dinner; now try breakfast for dessert! After all, so many cereals now are sweet enough to be a treat, so why don’t we just go ahead and turn them into one? This layer cake sandwiches cereal layers with frosting for a one-of-a-kind cake for kids and kids-at-heart. Wilton shows us how to make it.
–Vegetable pan spray
–4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
–4 cups mini marshmallows
–6 cups colorful fruit-flavored cereal, plus additional for topping
–2 1/2 cups white buttercream icing
- Spray five 6-inch pans with vegetable pan spray.
- In large bowl, microwave the butter for about 30 seconds, until melted.
- Add mini marshmallows to the butter and microwave on high for 45 seconds. Stir until smooth and the marshmallows are melted.
- Add the cereal to the butter-marshmallow mixture and mix until well-coated.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared pans. Use parchment paper to press the cereal mixture into even layers within the pans, and allow to set for 20 to 30 minutes, cooling completely while the butter and marshmallow firm up.
- Place one of the cereal layers onto a serving plate. Pipe the icing onto the cereal, covering the layer completely. Smooth the icing with a spatula.
- Repeat with the remaining cereal layers. Spatula icing onto the top layer and add cereal topping.
Cute! This cereal cake is such a great alternative to a regular cake, don’t you think? Have you ever tried making anything like it before? Which cereals would you use in your cake?