Easter is the perfect time to get crazy with all things carrot cake, it is the season of carrots after all! Carrot cake can be a really moist and delicious treat, but it can also be notoriously unhealthy. If you want all the flavor of carrot cake for Easter without the large amount of sugars and fats, these carrot cake thumbprint cookies are exactly what you’re looking for. These thumbprint cookies are basically a healthy upgrade of your regular carrot cake – and don’t worry, there are still plenty of golden raisins and cream cheese frosting to satisfy your sweet tooth! Watch the video below and see how this healthy treat is made.
The thumbprint in your thumbprint cookie is essential…it is where the cream cheese frosting will be piped into, after all! It’s crucial that the thumbprint is deep enough to hold this unbelievable frosting and give it the right aesthetic, too.
To accomplish this, make sure you DON’T make your thumbprint right away. Bake your cookies for 10 minutes before making your imprint. To physically make the divet, you don’t actually have to use your thumb (although you’re more than welcome to). We recommend using the back of a teaspoon if you don’t want to use your thumb.
CARROT CAKE COOKIES
– 3 peeled carrots
– 1 cup flour
– 3/4 tsp. Kosher salt
– 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
– 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
– 1/3 cup white sugar
– 1/3 cup brown sugar
– 1 stick of butter, melted
– 1 egg yolk
– 3/4 cup of old fashion rolled oats
– 1/4 cup raisins
– 3/4 cup shredded carrots
– 3/4 cup chopped pecans
– 4 tbsp. butter
– 1/4 cup powdered sugar
– 2 oz. cream cheese
– 1 1/2 tsp. of apricot jam
2. Add all the dry ingredients into a flour-based mixture.
3. Whisk the butter and egg. Gradually add the flour mixture in small batches.
4. Add rolled oats, raisins and shredded carrots. Mix in to form a dough.
5. Cover and chill for 30 minutes.
6. Roll the dough into balls. Roll the balls into the chopped pecans and place on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
7. Baked for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
8. Indent the center of each cookie before baking for an additional 10 minutes.
9. Combine butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese and jam into a filling.
10. Pipe filling into the center of each thumbprint cookie.