One of our favorite things in our cooking lives is figuring out to make our breakfasts easy and portable while still infusing them with that precious, made-with-love homemade flavor. After our most recent foray into making taquitos, the best and most obvious way to combine both needs hit us: Breakfast Taquitos! The ultimate result was so satisfying and so simple, and a great way to get a balanced breakfast into an easy on-to-go package that you can also savor at home over the morning paper. What’s more, these taquitos are baked, not fried, so they’re a little less guilt-inducing than you might think. Check them out! Once you watch us make them, you’ll want to try them immediately, so of course we’ve got the recipe all ready for you. Just watch and read on.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Makes 8 taquitos
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 6 large eggs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon butter
- ½ pound your favorite breakfast sausage
- ⅓ cup diced red bell pepper(s)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco
- 8 medium corn or flour tortillas
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray the parchment with cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, crack the eggs and season with some salt and pepper. Whisk until combined, and set aside.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Once it is melted and bubbling, add the breakfast sausage and begin to brown.
- When the sausage is half cooked, add the diced bell pepper and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add the chopped spinach and cook a few minutes more until the moisture from the spinach evaporates. Season the mixture with a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.TipHero
- Add the eggs to the pan and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are mostly cooked. Add another pinch of salt.TipHero
- Add the queso fresco and mix to combine with the rest of the filling, then immediately remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Wrap the tortillas in a lightly dampened paper towel. Microwave the stack of wrapped tortillas for 30 seconds to make them pliable. Make sure the paper towel is not too damp, or the tortillas will tear. Alternatively, you can make the tortillas warm and pliable by wrapping them in foil, then sticking them in the oven for a few minutes.
- Spray the tortillas on both sides with the cooking spray and lay them out on a work surface.
- Divide the filling evenly between the the tortillas. Top each one with a little bit of the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Roll the tortillas tightly and place them seam-side down on the lined baking sheet.TipHero
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until crispy. After 10 minutes, when you check the taquitos, rotate the baking sheet.
- Allow the taquitos to cool slightly. The tortillas will crisp more after they have cooled a bit. Serve with salsa for dipping.
Delicious! These taquitos are a great way to get some vegetables into your morning meal, and if you need, you can even take them on the go with you once they’re done. What’s more, they’re easily adaptable to your needs. So if you prefer different veggies or have some leftover ones to use up, you love breakfast sausage or prefer them meatless, there’s a way to make these Breakfast Taquitos work for you. Now tell us what that way is! Will you try this recipe? If you do, don’t forget to let us know how it goes!
Recipe adapted from The Recipe Critic