Bourbon Street Chicken in Slow Cooker
Fat Tuesday is only a few days away, so why not serve a dish inspired by the heart of American Mardi Gras: Bourbon Street! This easy chicken recipe is sweet, spicy and packed with flavor. PLUS— it’s a crockpot dish! Set your slow cooker and spend your precious minutes celebrating with friends, not slaving over the stove. Here’s how.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
BOURBON STREET CHICKEN
Serves 4 to 6
– 6 chicken thighs, about 1 ½ pounds
– 2 garlic cloves, minced
– 1 teaspoon minced ginger
– 1/4 cup apple juice
– 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
– 2 tablespoons ketchup
– 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
– ¼ cup soy sauce
– Red pepper flakes
– Green onions, chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix the garlic, ginger, apple juice, brown sugar, ketchup, cider vinegar and soy sauce together.
- Place the chicken thighs into the crockpot. Pour the mixed sauce into the crockpot and over the chicken, then use tongs to coat the chicken thighs in the sauce.
- Cook on high for 4 hours, until the chicken is tender.
- Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and chopped green onion on top. Serve with steamed rice.
To slightly thicken the sauce once the chicken has finished cooking, remove about a cup of the sauce from the crockpot and mix it in a small saucepan with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Let it come to a boil so that the cornstarch will dissolve and thicken, then stir it back into the crockpot with the rest of the sauce and the chicken.