Low-Carb Breakfast: Baked Avocado Eggs with Bacon and Chives
Did you know you could bake an egg right in an avocado half? Our avocado egg bake recipe will show you one easy trick so that with every spoonful you get a bit of that creamy yolk and smoky baked avocado. Top your stuffed avocado with crispy bacon, Parmesan cheese, smoked paprika, and chives for an easy, wholesome, high protein, paleo-friendly breakfast.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Eggs and avocado are two of our favorite breakfast ingredients, but this time instead of putting avocado on our eggs, we put eggs in our avocado. This avocado egg bake is a healthy spin on eggs in a basket, replacing the traditional bread with low-carb, delicious avocado. Then we sprinkled on some bacon — because avocado might be egg’s hot new fling, but bacon-and-egg is a love that will never die. (You could even multi-task and make baked bacon in the oven alongside your avocado eggs.)
Some recipes for avocado baked eggs have you just take out the pit and plop in an egg. But the truth is that although the flavors of eggs and avocado are made for each other, the two are not always a perfect match size-wise. Depending on whether you’ve got a carton of jumbo or regular eggs in your fridge, and also how big your avocado pit turns out to be, often the hole left behind by the pit is too small to hold all of the egg — and then you get a messy overflow situation that doesn’t look nice or cook properly.
We solved this problem with an easy trick: use a measuring spoon or melon baller to scoop out just a bit more of the green avocado flesh and make that hole a little roomier for the egg.
Then all you have to do is bake those eggy avocado boats in the oven until they’re done to your personal definition of breakfast perfection.
Baked Avocado with Bacon and Egg
Makes 2 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 avocado, halved and pitted
- 2 eggs
- kosher salt, to taste
- 2 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- sweet or smoked paprika, to taste (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the pit. Using a measuring spoon, melon baller, or other spoon, scrape out 1 – 2 more tablespoons of avocado flesh from the hole to make it a little bit bigger. Lay each avocado half, skin side down, in a muffin pan or ramekin.
- Carefully crack 1 egg into each avocado half. (It can be easier to crack the egg into a small bowl and then transfer it gently to the avocado.) Season with salt.
- Bake for 20 30 minutes, or until the egg is cooked to your liking.
- Top the cooked avocado halves with chopped bacon, parmesan cheese, paprika, and chives. Serve with toast.
Looking for more avocado recipes to make with your favorite green
vegetable fruit? Roll up some baked avocado rolls, enjoy a bowlful of our avocado chicken tortilla soup, or stuff your face with our BLT stuffed avocados.