Whether they’re sweet or savory, crepes are easily one of the most delicious and versatile foods. They’re also surprisingly easy to make, as Craftsy teaches us! You don’t need a fancy crepe pan or special technique; just spread the simple-to-make batter in a skillet in a thin, even layer, starting from the center, for flaky and satisfying pancakes. Wrap around your favorite filling and enjoy!
– 2 cups milk
– 4 large eggs
– 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, flour and salt vigorously until very smooth, about 2 minutes. This step can also be done in a food processor!
- Transfer the batter to a bowl with a pour spout or a measuring cup. Let the batter rest for 15 to 30 minutes. (It can also be kept, covered, in the refrigerator overnight.)
- Heat a nonstick skillet – preferably a 10-inch one – over high heat. Grease with butter or vegetable oil. Pour about a 1/2 cup of batter into the center of the pan and tilt it until the batter covers the entire surface of the skillet. Don’t worry if the edges are less-than-perfect!
- Cook the crepe until the top is just set and the bottom is very lightly browned, about 1 minute. Slide a spatula around the edge of the crepe to release it, and flip it over to cook on the other side, about 1 minute more. Serve immediately.
It’s great when something so delicious turns out to be so simple. I love savory crepes, stuffed with things like salmon and veggies. How do you like your crepes? Do you prefer them for breakfast, or for a grab-and-go meal?