21 Homemade Personal Care Products
A few weeks ago, I shared with you some recipes for homemade cleaning products for all your cleaning needs. This time, I’d like to share with you some homemade “cleaner” recipes from around the web with a focus on personal care. Beauty and personal hygiene products can get expensive, and in a lot of cases, there is an easier (and of course, cheaper) homemade solution for you try.
Now some recipes, like those for homemade soap, can get a little complicated and involved. So if you don’t have much patience or time, then some of these recipes may not be for you. However, I know that those of you looking for quick and easy recipes won’t be disappointed either.
So, without further adieu, here is a collection of homemade personal care product recipes from around the web for your day to day needs. Enjoy!
Soaps and Body Washes
Before you start making your homemade soap, be sure to be prepared! You can head here for some great preparation and safety tips from Soap Making Secret.
- Basic Soap Making: You’ll need a double boiler or a pot and a lid on top of a slightly larger pan, soap molds, rubbing alcohol in a spritz bottle, and a pound of clear soap base. Click the link for basics of soap making and some fancier recipes as well!
- Bath Soap Made in a Food Processor/Blender: Try out Tip Hero Gale Osborn’s easy recipe.
- Liquid/Gel Soap: Mix together 2 cups of soap flakes or grated bar soap, 1/2 gallon of water and 2 tbsp glycerin in a large pot. Set over low heat and stir occasionally until soap has dissolved. Transfer to a jar and cover tightly.
- Scented Bubble Bath or Body Wash: Pour a 1/2 cup of baby or unscented shampoo into a bowl. Add in 3/4 cup water and stir until thoroughly mixed. Stir in 2 teaspoons salt and add in 12 drops of scented oil and 1/3 teaspoon vitamin E/baby oil (optional).
- Oatmeal Face Scrub: Grind 2 tablespoons of oatmeal using a clean coffee grinder or a blender. Mix together the ground oatmeal with 2 teaspoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons aloe vera and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Massage this paste into damp skin and rinse.
- Exfoliating Face Wash for Oily Skin: Mix together 1 teaspoon of skim milk, 1 teaspoon honey and a few drops of apple vinegar in a bowl. Apply to skin in a circular motion for a minute or 2 and rinse with a warm cloth and water.
- Dry Skin Sugar Scrub: Start with 1 tablespoon of sugar in a small bowl and add a few drops of olive oil at a time until you form a paste. Massage this into your skin and rinse with warm water.
- Face Wash for Acne: Mix together 1/4 tablespoon oatmeal, 2 teaspoons baking soda and add water, one teaspoon at a time, until you form a thick paste. Apply this cream to your entire face and leave on for 5-8 minutes once or twice a week. Rinse with warm water.
- Egg Shampoo: Beat two eggs and then massage them into your scalp. Leave on for a couple of minutes and rinse with 1 cup warm water and 3 tablespoons vinegar (for dark hair) or 3 tablespoons lemon juice (for light hair).
- Castille Soap Shampoo: Mix together 1/2 cup of water with 1/2 cup of liquid castille soap. You can experiment with essential oils in this recipe if you’d like as well. Use as shampoo and then rinse with 1 cup water and 3 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar to get rid of film left by castile soap.
- For Oily Hair: Create a deep conditioner with 1/2 cup of real mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon baby oil, 1 egg yolk and 1 cup of water. Comb these ingredients through your hair and then wrap your head in a towel for 20 minutes. Shampoo and enjoy the results.
- Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide: make this paste with 6 parts baking soda, 1 part vegetable based glycerin, 1 part hydrogen peroxide and some flavoring.
- Mint Toothpaste: Mix together 6 teaspoons baking soda, 1/3 teaspoon salt, 4 teaspoons glycerin and 15 drops of peppermint into a paste consistency. Store in a container.
- Baking Soda Mouthwash: Mix together 2 ounces of water, 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda or sea salt, 1 drop of pure peppermint oil and 1 drop of tea tree oil.
- Spearmint Mouthwash: Boil 6 ounces of water and 2 ounces of vodka. Add in 4 teaspoons of liquid glycerin and 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature. Add 10 to 15 drops of spearmint essential oil, shake well, and pour into bottle. Seal and enjoy!
- Natural Deodorant: Combine 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/4 cup arrowroot powder or cornstarch. Slowly add 5-6 tablespoons of coconut oil to mixture and work it all together with a spoon. Scoop this mixture into a small container with a lid and apply with fingers when you’d like to use it! This recipe should last for up to 3 months of regular use!
- Black Tea: Simply dab a well-steeped black tea bag onto your skin.
- Homemade Spray Deodorant: Check out how this mom makes her own deodorant –
- Contact Solution: Boil one full liter of distilled water. Using a funnel, pour water into a sterile container, then pour in one teaspoon of cooking salt. Put the lid on the container and shake well. Store this solution in a dark place and keep the lid on tight. Be sure to clean your lenses with fresh sterilizer every day.
- Baby Wipes: Cut a roll of strong paper towels in half with a sharp knife and remove the cardboard core. In a round, plastic container, mix together 2 cups of water (that has been brought to boil and cooled back to room temperature), 2 tablespoons baby shampoo or baby wash and 1 tablespoon baby oil. Place the paper towels in the container with cut side facing downward. Allow to sit, with lid tightly secured, until liquid is absorbed into all towels. Open the container and begin the roll by pulling the first paper towel from the inside of the roll.
- Bath Tea Recipe: Combine 1/2 cup sea or Epsom salt, 2 tablespoons chamomile or green tea, 1/4 cup dried rosemary or sage, 1/2 cup dried flower petals and 2 tablespoons dried lemon or orange peel. Combine ingredients and divide mixture into small muslin bags or small squares of cheesecloth. Tie them off and tie on labels.
Many thanks to the following sources!
Photo credit: thebeautynook