Summer might be drawing to a close, but there’s still time for one last warm-weather-flavored, fun and free party with friends and family! Not only do we have the perfect thing to add a little extra zip to that end-of-summer get-together, today we have something just for the adults. So send the kids out of the room for a second and check out THIS: Watermelon Jello Shots! Not only do these little bites of fun taste like watermelon, we’re actually making them and setting the jello inside a hollowed-out watermelon rind. It’s the perfect way to celebrate and to refresh yourself as you look back over a summer full of good memories, and the fact that it includes our favorite summer fruit is just the ultimate topper. So whether you deserve an edible shot for surviving three school-less months, or if you’re just looking for something fun to share with your friends as you stare down fall’s arrival, we’re sure you’re going to love these shots. Watch how they’re made, and enjoy!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
WATERMELON JELLO SHOTS
Makes 30 wedge shots
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 – 12-to-16-pound watermelon
- 4 – 3ounce boxes watermelon Jell-O (or your favorite brand of gelatin)
- 2 – 1ounce boxes unflavored gelatin
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups vodka
- With a large chef’s knife, cut the watermelon in half lengthwise. Cut along the inside edge, about ½ inch away from the rind, with your knife at an angle facing toward the center of the watermelon.
- Cut slices lengthwise through the inside flesh, being careful not to pierce the rind. Turn the watermelon and, working in the opposite direction, slice through the flesh again. These cross slices will create cubes of watermelon. Use a large serving spoon to scoop out these watermelon cubes, and reserve to eat or for another recipe.
- Scrape out the rest of the watermelon, creating a smooth bowl with ½ inch of red flesh remaining.
- Line two sheet pans with paper towels, folding four sets of two towels into quarters, lengthwise. Place a carved watermelon half in the center of each sheet pan and place the folded towels snugly against each side of the watermelon, thereby keeping the halves from rolling while in the fridge.
- In a large bowl, combine the watermelon Jell-O and the gelatin. Add the four cups of boiling water and stir until completely dissolved.
- Add the vodka and stir to combine.
- Evenly pour the vodka jello mixture into each watermelon half.TipHeroTipHero
- Refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
- To serve, cut each half into 1-inch slices, then cut each slice into three wedges.TipHeroTipHero
Super cute, right? We just love that these Watermelon Jello Shots actually look like little slices of watermelon. Plus, having the rind there gives us something to grip as we enjoy them, so we won’t accidentally squish it and send juicy vodka all over the place.
What do YOU think of these Watermelon Jello Shots? Have you ever made them inside a hollowed-out watermelon before, or was that idea new to you? Do you think you’ll give them a try before the end of summer?
Recipe adapted from Buzzfeed