When it comes to macaroni and cheese, it’s that latter ingredient that’s REALLY important. After all, who can resist a perfect, creamy cheese sauce? Not us, that’s for sure. When it comes to making it, it turns out there’s an easy-to-melt, utterly delicious cheese we’ve been ignoring in our recipes: Velveeta! Now that we’ve seen this “down home” mac ‘n’ cheese from Kraft Recipes, we won’t make that mistake any longer. This is one of the best, classic-style macaroni-and-cheeses we’ve ever seen, and it’s got a crispy topper and a bacon surprise that’s just delightful. Check it out!
VELVEETA MAC ‘N’ CHEESE
– 3 tablespoons butter
– ¼ cup flour
– 1 cup milk
– 8 ounces (½ pound) Velveeta, cut into ½-inch cubes
– 2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
– ¼ cup bacon bits (optional)
– ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
– 6 Ritz crackers, crushed and mixed with 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Stir the flour into the butter in the saucepan. Cook, constantly stirring, for about 2 minute.
- Gradually stir in the milk until well blended. Cook and stir until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Add the Velveeta. Cook until melted, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the macaroni and, if using, the bacon bits.
- Spoon the macaroni into the casserole dish. Sprinkle the cheddar and the buttered cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until heated-through.
So good! The Velveeta is perfect for melting down into the creamiest cheese sauce. What do you think of this version of macaroni and cheese? Do you usually make your mac with Velveeta? How would you dress up this recipe? If you’d like to see an alternate “down home” version, check out this one over on the Kraft website.
Can’t get enough mac ‘n’ cheese? Neither can we! That’s why we put together this list of our 34 favorite, most unusual recipes. Pick your favorites and tell us about your mac ‘n ‘cheese adventures.