Colorful cakes are all the rage nowadays. Edible rainbows are everywhere, from your lattes to your cookies, and the new galaxy trend uses a galactic swirl of colors in your baked goods. But if you’re looking for a way to incorporate this fun trend into your baking without too much work, this Tie Dye Cake decorating technique is the perfect compromise! It’s so simple to get this amazing look on your regular homemade cake. You only need a few basic ingredients, and there’s only a few steps involved. Watch our hypnotizing video below to learn how it’s done— or just to watch the amazing colors blend together, because it’s pretty beautiful!
TIE DYE CAKE
- 1 cake, covered in fondant
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Bright and/or neon food dyes
- Place the fondant-covered cake on a wire rack set over a baking sheet lined with parchment.
- In a bowl, mix the powdered sugar and water to make a glaze.
- Add one drop each of your chosen food dye colors. There’s no need to mix! Simply let each drop settle where it will.
- Pour the icing over the cake.
- Allow the cake to dry, and enjoy!
Making this cake is guaranteed to get you ALL of the Instagram likes. I mean, look at it! It’s almost too gorgeous to eat. Almost. And you can let the likes roll in, knowing you didn’t have to slave away to get this beautiful baked good. It was as easy as pie— or cake, more appropriately.
We love, too, that you can use this technique with any cake and any colors you like! As long the cake is covered in fondant, this technique will work!
What do you think of this colorful, tie dye cake? Will you be making this as your next confectionery experiment? Share your thoughts on the recipe in the comments section below.