Given the option of an outrageously fancy dinner you can’t pronounce or a perfectly crafted grilled cheese, 9 out of 10 people would probably take the grilled cheese. Can you blame them? Nothing is better than grilled bread, lathered with butter, sandwiching gooey layers of melted cheese. Pure. Bliss. But accomplishing that perfect grilled cheese is easy said than done – even a recipe this simple presents its own challenges. Well, struggle no more! Everyday Food chef Thomas is going to show us the art of the perfect grilled cheese. Teach us your ways, grilled cheese master.
Wow, am I craving a grilled cheese right about now. And thanks to these simple, helpful hints, I can go whip myself up the perfect sandwich right now! You’ll be doing the same, trust me.
THE PERFECT GRILLED CHEESE
– 3 cheeses (Thomas uses cheddar, Monterey jack, Swiss)
– White bread
– Soft butter
2. Using a light, soft bread (white is best), butter one side on each of your two pieces of bread with a very soft butter. You CAN use wheat or rye, but you won’t get the same crispy effect.
3. On a pre-heated skillet on low heat, put the first piece of bread butter-side down on the skillet. Put about 1/4 cup of your cheese mixture on top and cover with the other piece of bread, butter-side up.
4. Cook that first side for 5 minutes.
5. Flip and give that second side about 5 minutes.
6. Cut your sandwich on a diagonal and enjoy hot!