One of our favorite things to talk about during Easter brunch is our plans and dreams for the spring and summer seasons. The feeling of springtime renewal always has everybody dreaming of diving into new projects, playing and exercising outside, and traveling to tropical places. These Pineapple Cream Cheese Sweet Rolls from Baking A Moment turn those dreams into edible treats, with their mix of traditional Easter flavors and a tropical twist sure to leave your guests happy, impressed and inspired.
– 3/4 cup warm water
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– One 1/4 ounce packet instant dry yeast
– 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
– 1/4 cup buttermilk
– 1 large egg
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 5 cups all-purpose flour
– 8 ounces cream cheese (brick form), softened
– 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
– 1/2 cup powdered sugar
– 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped pineapple (about 1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled & cored)
– 4 ounces cream cheese (brick form), softened
– 1 cup powdered sugar
– 3 tablespoons milk
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the warm water and sugar in a large mixing bowl, and sprinkle the yeast over the surface. Set aside for 5 minutes and allow the yeast to get foamy. When it’s ready, you’ll really notice the yeast smell!
- Combine the oil, buttermilk, egg and salt, stirring together with a fork.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the yeast and water mixture, stirring to combine.
- Stir in the flour. Mix on medium-low speed for about 5 minutes, until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
- Place the dough in a lightly-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours.
- Place the cream cheese, butter, and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until fluffy.
- Stir in the chopped pineapple. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish. (Baking a Moment recommends a glass dish and greasing with a light coat of non-stick spray.)
- Sprinkle your work surface with flour and pat your dough into a rectangle shape.
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of about 1/8-inch.
- Spread the pineapple filling evenly over the dough surface.
- Starting with one long edge, carefully roll the dough into a log.
- Cut the dough log into 12 equal portions.
- Place each roll, cut side down, into the prepared baking dish. Allow the rolls to rise, in a warm place, for one hour.
- Bake the rolls for 20 to 25 minutes, until they are puffed and golden.
- Cool for 30 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese and powdered sugar together until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and the milk, adding tiny bits of the milk until you reach your desired icing consistency.
Drizzle the icing over your baked rolls and you’re all set! While these rolls do take a while to make, thanks to the time needed for the dough to rise, you can spend those hours accomplishing your other Easter preparations! Your home will be filled with springtime sunshine and the sweet smells of dough, sugar and pineapple long after the last delicious bite is tasted.