We know that turkey is the traditional star of the big Thanksgiving dinner, but let’s all be honest for a second: everybody’s REAL favorites are the sides! And what side is more delicious and delightful than sweet potatoes? Our new favorite way to enjoy them: Sweet Potato Casserole!
You know how everybody loves sweet potato pie? Then they’re all going to adore this Sweet Potato Casserole! It’s topped by a crumble featuring chopped pecans and brown sugar that gives it just the right addition of sweet crunch to balance that classic sweet potato flavor. Just check THIS out, then read on for the full recipe so you can try it yourself.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Sweet Potato Casserole
Makes 1 8-by-8-inch casserole
Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Grease an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking dish.
- Coat each potato in olive oil, and wrap each one individually in two layers of foil.
- Place the wrapped sweet potatoes on a baking sheet. Bake for at least 1 hour, until the potatoes are very soft and their natural sugar begins to caramelize. Turn the potatoes every 20 to 30 minutes to ensure even baking.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool until they can be handled easily. Remove the skin and then place the peeled sweet potatoes in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the honey, 3 tablespoons of butter, egg, half-and-half, vanilla and teaspoon of salt to the mixing bowl with the sweet potato. Using a hand mixer or a wooden spoon, blend the filling ingredients together until smooth and creamy.TipHero
- Transfer the filling to the greased 8-by-8-inch pan.TipHero
- In a medium bowl, combine the ¼ cup butter, brown sugar, flour, chopped pecans, ground cinnamon and ¼ teaspoon of salt and mix until combined.
- Crumble the topping over the surface of sweet potato filling.TipHero
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the topping is nicely browned and the center of the casserole is set.
- The 1 ½ pounds of sweet potato should yield about 2 cups of roasted and mashed sweet potato.
- Baking the sweet potatoes may take 1 hour or more, depending on the size of the sweet potatoes themselves.
- How do you know when the center of the casserole is set? It will only jiggle very slightly when shaken, like a cheesecake!
How fantastic does this Sweet Potato Casserole look?! We are all about the pecan crumble topping. Of course, it helps that it’s topping an absolutely perfectly creamy sweet potato mixture. This dish is one side that won’t leave any leftovers after Thanksgiving!
So what do you think? Is Sweet Potato Casserole a fixture on your Thanksgiving table? Does your casserole always feature a crumble? Are there any changes you would make to this recipe? Tell us if you give it a try and how it turns out for you?
Recipe adapted from Chef in Training