Transform string cheese and pizza dough into a sensational snack with this super easy recipe for stuffed pizza sticks. These hot and tasty pepperoni n’ cheese roll-ups combine everything you crave about mozzarella sticks, stuffed crust pizza and garlic knots–that’s a lot to love!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Get ready, because there’s about to be a string cheese incident in your kitchen. All it takes to roll up a batch of these awesome bites is pre-made pizza dough–or, if you’ve got a DIY side, prepare the dough yourself with our foolproof two-ingredient pizza dough recipe–and a couple pizza toppings. (Vegetarians can lose the pepperoni and use mushrooms, bell pepper slices, or any veggie pizza topping instead.)
Our favorite part of this recipe, though, has got to be that it makes brilliant use of a snack you probably already have in your refrigerator — mozzarella string cheese sticks! And if garlic bread makes you drool, the herb-infused butter that gets brushed on at the end for a perfectly golden and flavorful crust is not a step you’ll want to skip. How is it that this recipe has everything, yet requires so little?
Stuffed Pizza Sticks
Makes 10 pizza sticks
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound pizza dough
- 40 pepperoni slices
- 10 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- marinara sauce for dipping (optional)
- Heat oven to 450°F/232°C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
- Lightly flour your work surface and, using a rolling pin, roll your pizza dough into a 12 x 16-inch rectangle. It should be about ⅛-inch thick.
- Cut the dough into 10 equally sized rectangles.
- Arrange 4 pepperoni slices vertically down the center of each rectangle.
- Place 1 mozzarella cheese stick in the center of the pepperoni slices on each rectangle.
- Roll up the pizza dough so that it encloses the pepperoni slices and cheese
sticks. Make sure to pinch all of the seams closed.
- Place the pizza sticks on your lined baking sheet, with the seamed side of the dough facing down.
- Melt the butter in the microwave. Add the garlic powder and the dried parsley to the melted butter, and stir to combine. Brush your pizza sticks with the butter mixture.
- Bake the pizza sticks in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove the pizza sticks from the oven and brush them again with the butter mixture. Serve warm with marinara sauce for dipping, if desired.
Make sure you serve these hot out of the oven, because you’re going to love biting into one of these pizza sticks and seeing that gooey melted mozzarella cheese streeeeetch out in front of you! Serve them up with even more marinara sauce on the side for dunking. Hungry kids and party guests will definitely stick around for more of these pepperoni n’ cheese stuffed pizza sticks!
What do you think, are these going to turn into your family’s new favorite snack? Let us know how your taste testers reacted, and if you have any ideas for customizing the stuffing–we’re thinking that Canadian bacon and pineapple would be pretty amazing!
Recipe adapted from I Wash… You Dry.