Summer is still some time away but that doesn’t mean that you can’t indulge in some chocolately-Graham crackery-marshmallowy goodness. Bring the S’mores indoors with this inside out recipe. Ooey gooey chocolate brownies envelope layers of melted marshmallows and crunchy Grahams. To make this decadent dessert a hint lighter, I substituted unsweetened applesauce for the oil called for on the box mix of brownies. The marshmallows will appear to nearly disappear in this recipe but you’ll be able to taste them in every bite. To get that true campfire effect, serve these warm (or warmed back up) on a chilly day.
Recipe inspired by Tablespoon.
1 box brownie mix plus the eggs, oil, and water called for on the box (or your favorite brownie batter recipe)
6 sheets Graham crackers (the cinnamon flavored ones give a nice touch)
2 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray a glass 9×13″ dish with non stick baking spray. Mix together your brownie mix and pour half of it into the pan.
- Top with 5 of the graham crackers until you have covered the first layer of brownie batter.
- Sprinkle all of the marshmallows over the crackers. Pour the remaining batter over the marshmallows.
- Crumble the last graham cracker and sprinkle over the top. Bake for 30-45 minutes. After the 30 minute mark check the brownies every 5 minutes. Due to the marshmallows and crackers you can’t stick a toothpick in to see if they are done. Instead you are looking for the edges to pull away from the sides of the pan and for the top of the brownies to be firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.