Baked eggs are a delicious (and deliciously easy) was to dress up your next homemade breakfast or brunch. I like to serve them in individual ramekins but if you do not have any you can put the entire recipe into a high walled oven safe pan (the same one you cook the sauce in!) This will come out very similar to the Israeli dish of shakshuka. In fact many cultures have baked egg recipes. Today I will show you how to do an Italian flavored baked egg. If you want to make it even easier you can use store bought marinara or pizza sauce (and then top it with pepperoni and pizza blend cheese for a pizza for breakfast variation!)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper (I used green, any color works)
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
7 oz crushed tomatoes (I used home canned ones)
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
handful fresh Basil leaves for garnishing
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Ready your ramekins by spraying them with non stick spray.
- In a medium pan heat the olive oil on medium high heat. Add the bell peppers and onions and cook stirring frequently, until soft, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook stirring constantly for 30 seconds. Add the tomato sauce and stir in. Bring to a boil. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Divide the sauce amongst the ramekins. Add an egg to each ramekin and top with the shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or longer if you want your egg yolks set. 12-14 minutes will set the whites but leave the yolks runny.
- Top with chopped fresh basil leaves and serve.