When you say the word “pie,” most people picture something sweet, but we shouldn’t forget about pie’s more savory origins! A meat pie is just as filling and delicious, and when it’s miniature, it can be just as cute as any dessert. Exhibit A? These mini meat pies! They’re easy to make, easy to adapt, and super tasty. Watch how they’re made, then read on for the recipe and a vegetarian alternative.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
MINI MEAT PIES
Serves 6 / Makes 12 mini pies
–2 Cup whole wheat flour
–½ tsp. sugar
–½ tsp. salt
–¼ Cup olive oil
–½ Cup lukewarm water
–¼ Cup milk
–1 tbs. dry active yeast
–2 tablespoons Olive oil
–1 pound ground beef
–3 cups onion, diced small
–1 tablespoon salt
–1 tablespoon ground black pepper
–1 tablespoon chili powder
–½ cup parsley, chopped
–1 egg yolk, whisked
–1 tablespoon cumin seeds
–1 tablespoon sesame seeds
–⅛ teaspoon poppy seeds
- In a small bowl, combine the yeast and lukewarm water. Let sit for 5 minutes to allow the yeast to activate.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and sugar.
- Add the yeast mixture, olive oil and milk, and mix together with your hands. Knead the dough for 5 minutes, adding additional flour as needed. It should form a ball and become smooth, not sticky.
- Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat the olive oil. Add the ground beef and brown.
- Add the onion and continue to cook until soft.
- Add the salt and spices, and continue to cook for an additional 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Prep a muffin tin.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Divide the dough into 24 balls: 12 small balls, roughly 1-inch in diameter, and 12 smaller balls, roughly ¾-inch in diameter.
- With a rolling pin, roll out the larger 1-inch balls .Line the muffin tin cups with the rolled-out balls.
- Gently spoon the filling into the muffin cups.
- Roll the smaller balls out and place them on top of the filling, sealing the pies with them.
- Brush the tops with the whisked egg yolk and sprinkle with the cumin, sesame and poppy seeds.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with your favorite chutney or sauce!
- Prefer a meatless pie? Make a cheesy alternative filling by mixing 2 cups of crumbled feta, 1 cup of chopped parsley, ½ teaspoon of black pepper and 2 egg yolks together.
Recipe slightly adapted from Give Recipe