Want to take your favorite frozen dessert to the next level? Apply some heat— deep-fried heat! That’s right, today we’re making fried ice cream, and we’re giving it a cinnamon Mexican twist. The final result is sweet and spicy, creamy and crispy, and ridiculously delicious. Check it out!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Mexican Fried Ice Cream
– 1 pint ice cream, any kind or flavor
– 1 loaf white sandwich bread
– 1 quart vegetable oil
– 2 teaspoons cinnamon
– ⅓ cup granulated sugar
– Chocolate sauce (optional)
– Caramel sauce (optional)
– Chopped nuts (optional)
- Place a sheet pan in the freezer and allow to cool for at least 1 hour.
- Using a large ice scream scoop, form balls of ice cream about 2½ inches in diameter. Place on the frozen sheet pan and return to the freezer until frozen solid.
- Cut the edges off the slices of sandwich bread and flatten with a rolling pin. (You will need 2 slices for each ice cream ball.) Take the flattened bread and mold around the ice cream balls. Place back in the freezer for about 2 hours, until frozen rock-solid.
- Mix the cinnamon and sugar together in a bowl large enough to hold and coat one ice-cream-ball at a time. Set aside.
- In a pot, heat oil until it reaches 365 degrees Fahrenheit. (Be careful!) Dip each ice-cream-bread ball into the hot oil for about 15 seconds, until golden brown on all sides. Remove from the oil, pat dry with a paper towel, and roll in the cinnamon-sugar.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve immediately.
Oh my goodness, this dessert looks so good! Have you ever had Mexican fried ice cream before? What other treats do you give the deep-fried treatment?