Love the taste of snow cones but wish they had a little more substance? Always on the look-out for new cupcake twists? A big fan of treats that look like other favorites? Then you’ll love these Kool-Aid Snow Cone Cupcakes! Watch and learn how to make this latest “food impostor” from Cookies, Cupcakes and Cardio.
–Your favorite vanilla cupcakes
–Your favorite vanilla buttercream
–1 cup water
–2 cups granulated sugar
–1 package Kool-Aid (per desired flavor and color)
–Colored sanding sugars
- In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the sugar-water from the heat and stir in the Kool-Aid packet.
- Set aside and let cool completely. Repeat for each color and flavor of syrup you want.
- Once cool, store in a sealed, refrigerated container.
- Prepare your cupcakes and buttercream according to your favorite recipes.
- Pipe a topping of icing onto a cupcake using a round tip, or spread on with a spatula.
- Turn the cupcake upside down, and press the icing into the colored sanding sugar.
- Dip the sugar-covered icing sugar into the snow cone syrup and immediate turn right-side-up.
- Place on a paper towel to absorb leakage and let the syrup soak in.
- Repeat for desired number of cupcakes.
Cute! I think these would be perfect for a summer birthday party. What about you? Will you give these cupcakes a try? Do you think you’ll use the syrup recipe for these cupcakes, regular snow cones, or both?