We know by now that old t-shirts do not have to be destined for the recycling bin. They can be transformed into a plethora of things. Take a look at this creative project from Make It and Love It for turning an old t-shirt or 2 into a cute headband.
Here’s what you do:
- Find some old, jersey knit t-shirts.
- Cut fabric into long strips (enough to fit twice around your head). You’ll need 5 long strips to make one headband.
- Stack five strips on top of each other and sew on one end (you can hand stitch or glue them).
- Next, pull on each strip of fabric so that they curl on the edges.
- Lay strips with sewn edge at the top and split up the strips so that 3 are on the left side and 2 are on the right. Make It and Love It suggests taping the sewn edge down while braiding to make it easier).
Here’s how the braiding starts:
For the full tutorial with detailed instructions and many helpful photos, head over to Make It and Love It’s Repurposing: Tshirts into 5-strand-braided-headbands.