An ingrown toenail can be more than annoying – it can be downright painful. If you’re dealing with this very common condition, you can treat yourself at home using Healthy Food House’s method. Here’s what to do:
- Soak the foot for 15-20 minutes in hot water (as hot as you can handle comfortably). Make sure to repeat this step at least twice a day to soften the nails and prevent infections. When washing, use bacterial soap.
- After soaking your feet, pat them dry with a clean towel. Then cut your nails straight (not round).
- Lift up the ingrown nail using a sterile needle and carefully place a small bit of cotton underneath it. Be patient and careful with this step and don’t push too hard. The cotton will help to prevent irritation and infection.
- Wrap the whole toe with gauze for protection.
- Don’t wear socks, if possible, so you can help your feet to breathe. Also, check your nail several times a day and change the cotton at least once a day.
- Prevent further inflammation by putting a small slice of lemon on the nail and wrapping it with gauze, leaving it like that overnight. The acid in the lemon will fight infections.
If your toe already looks dark blue or a very intense red, then chances are that you already have an infection. In this case, consult your doctor as soon as possible to get proper treatment and medication, if necessary.
Thanks to Healthy Food House for the helpful tips!