As I know very well from my experience working in restaurants, having a gluten-free allergy can serious limit the types of food you are able to eat. It can get very expensive buying “gluten-free snacks” for those times when you’re on the go and need some quick energy. These great homemade bars however, courtesy of Sonia at Wise Bread, only break down to about 30 cents apiece. All you have to do is make a batch when you have the time and store them individually in snack-sized zip lock bags.
What You’ll Need
- 1 cup honey (or corn syrup)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 cups of mix, using 3 or more of the following:
- 4 cups of puffed rice (no rice crispies)
- 4 cups gluten-free cereal (like Chex)
- dried cranberries
- other dried berries and/or dried fruit
- sunflower seeds
The steps are pretty straightforward. Head on over to Homemade Gluten-Free Trail Mix Bars for About 30 Cents Each for full instructions for making this satisfying and energy-filled snack.