In our quest to discover and enjoy as many healthy recipes as possible, carrots have often played a starring role– but not always in the best way, if we’re being honest. More often than not, rather than highlight the orange veggie in its natural glory, we’ve snuck it into things like cookies or used its flavors in dishes like cheesecakes and pancakes in a more glancing way.
No more! Today, carrots are the star, and helping us highlight them? A honey balsamic glaze! This ultra-delicious way of preparing carrots feels so indulgent, but doesn’t lose any of the veggie’s natural taste or healthy powers. Instead, they come together for a side that’ll really take all your meals to the next level. Let us show you what we mean, then read on for the full recipe!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
Honey Balsamic Carrots
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 pound carrots
- 1-½ tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt, plus more to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the carrots on the lined baking sheet. Drizzle the carrots with the olive oil, and season with the salt and ground black pepper. Toss to combine.
- Roast the carrots for 25 to 40 minutes, depending on the size of carrots, shaking the pan every 10 minutes, or until cooked-through and nicely browned.
- While carrots are cooking, begin to prepare the glaze by adding the honey and balsamic vinegar to a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove the glaze from the heat, add the butter, and stir until the butter is melted and well-combined.
- When the carrots are roasted, toss with the honey balsamic glaze, and then return to the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the glaze thickens and coats the carrots.
- Transfer the carrots to a serving dish and sprinkle with a few more drops of the balsamic vinegar and some sea salt, if desired.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley, if using. Serve hot or warm, as desired.
- You can reduce the amount of cooking time by cutting the carrots in half lengthwise or into other desired shapes and/or sizes.
- You can also easily double or triple this recipe if needed.
See how simple that is? This delicious glaze really takes carrots from a boring-albeit-healthy side to a dish that’s really something special. The other thing about that glaze? It goes great on so many vegetables and other foods– and we can’t wait to try them all!
So what about you? Are there other things you’d love to try this honey balsamic glaze on, or do you think you’ll stick with the carrots? What are some other ways you like to dress up this orange veggie and make it into something extra tasty? Are there any changes you’d make to this recipe? Tell us if you give it a try, and be sure to come back and let us know how it turns out if you do!