Want to give a loved one a lovely breakfast surprise to wake up to? You can, and you don’t have to be a superstar chef to do it! All you need is this adorable idea that puts a sweet spin on a breakfast classic— and adds some cheese for good measure! Watch how easy it is to make.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
CUPID’S HEART IN A BASKET
–2 slices whole-grain bread
–1 tablespoon berry jam
–2 slices cheddar cheese
–1 tablespoon butter, plus more as needed
- Place the bread on a work surface. Evenly spread the jam on one slice, layer with the cheese and then place the second slice of bread on top.
- Using two small bowls, separate the egg yolk from the egg white, and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Once the butter has melted, add the sandwich to the pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove the sandwich from the pan. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the center out of the sandwich.
- Lower the heat slightly and return both pieces of the sandwich to the pan uncooked-side-down, adding more butter if necessary. Immediately add the egg white into the heart-shaped hole, then place the yolk in the center of that heart. (Lowering the heat at the start of this step prevents burning and gives the egg more time to cook.)
- Cover the pan – doing so allows the egg to cook more quickly – and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the egg white has set. The final result will be a soft cooked egg.
- Transfer to a plate and serve!
What a sweet take on the traditional egg-in-a-basket! Do you think you’ll serve this dish to your valentine?
Recipe slightly adapted from Reclaiming Provincial