We all love pizza, but we don’t love the carbs, fat and sodium that can be toppings on this comfort food. The refined flour in the crust, especially, can be low in fiber and nutrients and high risk for abdominal fat. Everybody knows that adding veggies to the top can make these sauce-and-cheese pies healthier, but did you know you can use them to make the crust better, too? 12 Tomatoes shows us how to make cauliflower into a delicious, gluten-free base.
–4 cups raw cauliflower rice (about one medium head)
–1 egg, beaten
–1/3 cup goat cheese or ricotta cheese
–1 teaspoon dried oregano
–Pinch of salt
–Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the cauliflower head into florets. Add them, in batches, to a food processor. Pulse each batch until the cauliflower turns into a rice-like texture.
- Cook the cauliflower, in one of two ways:
Fill a large pot with an inch of water and bring it to a boil. Add the cauliflower rice, cover the pot, and let it cook for about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain into a fine-mesh strainer.
Place the cauliflower rice in a microwave-safe bowl and cook for 7 to 8 minutes. Let it rest afterward for a few minutes, fluffing the rice every so often.
- After straining the cauliflower rice, transfer it to a clean, thin dish towel and twist the towel around the rice to get all the excess moisture out. You can also pat the rice firmly with paper towels until all the excess moisture is gone.
- Put the drained rice into a large bowl and add the egg, cheese and spices. Mix together thoroughly.
- Press the dough onto the baking sheet into the shape you’d like. Keep the dough about 1/3-inch thick, and a little thicker around the edges for a traditional crust shape.
- Bake the crust for about 35 to 40 minutes, until the crust is firm and golden-brown.
- Remove the crust from the oven and add sauce, cheese and your pizza toppings of choice.
- Return the pizza to the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. Cook until the cheese is bubbly.
- Let the pizza rest for a few minutes before serving.
Delicious and nutritious! Have you ever made crust or other breads from vegetables before? What are some of your favorite ways of making pizza healthier?