You don’t have to eat meat to enjoy a delicious, classic pasta dinner. Not when the pasta is your favorite kind of tortellini, and the sauce is perfectly creamy. Not when you’re packing a delicious nutritional punch with basil and spinach. Not when there’s Parmesan and spices to finish it off. When a dish is this good, and has flavors that work together this well, you won’t miss the meat at all. Just check out this reminder, and add it to your weekly dinner rotation.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
CREAMY TOMATO BASIL TORTELLINI
Total Time: 25 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 5
– 1 – 20-ounce package tortellini (cheese, chicken, sausage, spinach, etc.)
– 2 tablespoons butter
– ½ small onion, diced
– 4 cloves garlic, minced
– 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
– 1¼ cups whole milk
– ½ cup heavy cream
– 1 – 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
– 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
– 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
– ¾ cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
– Salt and pepper, to taste
– Red chili flakes, to taste
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions, and drain.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the flour and stir constantly for about one minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and heavy cream until smooth. Continue to stir until the sauce begins to simmer.
- Add the tomatoes, spinach, and basil, and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the sauce has thickened and the spinach has wilted.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and stir until melted.
- Remove the sauce from the heat, and toss the cooked and drained tortellini into the sauce. Mix until evenly coated. Thin with reserved pasta sauce, if desired.
- Garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and chili flakes.
Simply, classically delicious. What do you think? Are there any ways you’d make this dish your own?
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy