There are all kinds of variations on chocolate chip cookies out there, and everybody is always eager to defend their favorites. It’s hard to get excited about new recipes, but these Salted Chocolate Chunk Cookies, coming to us from Smitten Kitchen, are really something else. They use three types of sugar and extra chocolate to give us treats that absolutely ooze with taste.
– 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
– 2 tablespoons, granulated sugar
– 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar/Sugar-in-the-Raw (If you don’t have this sugar available, you can use more of the granulated and/or brown sugars.)
– 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed light or dark brown sugar
– 1 large egg
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
– Heaping 1/4 teaspoon fine sea or table salt
– 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
– 1/2 pound semi- or bittersweet chocolate, cut into roughly 1/2-inch chunks with a serrated knife
– Flaky sea salt, to finish
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugars together with an electric mixer until very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the egg and the vanilla. Beat until incorporated, scraping down the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the salt and baking soda until combined.
- On a low spead, beat in the flour until just mixed. The dough will look crumbly at this point, so don’t panic!
- With a spatula, fold and/or stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Scoop cookies onto the prepared baking sheet in mounds about 1 1/2 tablespoons in size.
- Sprinkle each mound with a few flakes of sea salt.
- Bake for 11 to 12 minutes, until golden.
- Let the cookies rest on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
You can bake these cookies right after mixing them, letting them rest in the refrigerator for a day or two, or freezing the dough in scoops or a 2-inch log. They’ll be equally delicious no matter which method you choose!
So what do you think? Could this recipe be your new cookie favorite? How do you guarantee the best chocolate chip experience for your family?