Who doesn’t love grilled cheese? It’s such a comfort food for me. When I treat myself to the occasional grilled cheese, it brings me straight back to my childhood when my dad would whip together his “world-famous” grilled cheese sandwiches. So if you’re cooking up some grilled cheeses as a comfort food, why not go a step further and add bacon and caramelized onions with this recipe from $5 Dinners? It’s like a childhood favorite with a delicious, adult twist.
Here’s What You Need to Make 4:
-1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
-1 tsp balsamic vinegar
-1 Tbsp white sugar
-1 large white onion, sliced
-4 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
-2 Tbsp butter, softened
-1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
-4 slices Swiss cheese
-8 slices whole wheat bread
Here’s What You Do:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add olive oil, balsamic vinegar and sugar to a skillet. Then add sliced onions and heat them on low for 30 minutes. Stir often until onions are caramelized.
- Bake the bacon in the oven for about 25 minutes.
- While onions and bacon cook, stir together softened butter and Parmesan cheese. Spread this mixture on the insides of the bread. Then butter the outsides of the bread (for grilling).
- Once onions are done caramelizing, place them on a plate and pat to dry.
- Place a slice of Swiss cheese, some of the onions and a slice of bacon (broken in half) onto each buttered bread duo.
- Grill sandwiches on a skillet or electric griddle until outsides of bread are golden brown. When flipping, be careful so the onions don’t slide out.