Blueberries are coming into season, and we couldn’t be more excited to go pick our own. Once we have those baskets of ripe, sweet berries, we need new and fun ways to enjoy them. First on our list? This Blueberry Banana Cake! Not only is it a great way to use up those blueberries and any bananas that are getting just a little too ripe, it works both as a dessert or a sweet start to your day. Call it cake, call it bread, call it whatever you want— you’re going to love it. Watch how it’s made.
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
BLUEBERRY BANANA CAKE
– 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
– ¼ teaspoon table salt
– ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
– 1 cup granulated sugar
– 2 large eggs
– Zest from 1 large lemon
– ¼ cup buttermilk
– ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
– 3 ripe bananas, mashed
– 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius). Spray a 9-inch-by-5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla to the bowl and mix until combined.
- Stir in the mashed bananas and buttermilk.
- Fold in the blueberries with a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 60 to 70 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. If the edges of the bread are getting too dark before the middle of the bread finishes baking, cover the top of the loaf with foil.
What a great way to make use of your blueberries and ripening bananas! Have you ever made anything similar before? What do you think of this cake?
Recipe adapted from Damn Delicious