Have you ever had Black Forest cake before? This classic German dessert is made of layers of rich chocolate cake, whipped cream, black cherries, and a traditional liquor called kirschwasser made from sour cherries. In other words, it is decadently delicious! Today we’re putting an upside-down spin on it with the help of Sarah Carey and Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food. This recipe makes two rich and flavorful cakes, making it the perfect dessert to serve on Valentine’s Day. Check it out!
– 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
– 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
– 1 1/2 cups drained jarred sour cherries (1 teaspoon juice reserved)
– 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
– 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
– 1 large egg yolk
– 3 tablespoons whole milk
– 1/4 cup heavy cream
– 2 teaspoons rum
What a romantic dessert! Grab your full, printable copy of the recipe over on the Martha Stewart site, and definitely let us know if you give it a try!