Chicken is a reliable weeknight dinner standby we all love, but it’s also really easy to get into a rut with it. Being easy doesn’t have to be bland! So we went looking for new, delicious ways of serving it up, and we found the key ingredient: cheese! Specifically, mozzarella— AND Parmesan and ricotta. Together with some spinach for extra power, they form incredible rolls of taste you’re going to want to make again and again. Check them out!
Follow us on Pinterest >> Tip Hero
BAKED MOZZARELLA CHICKEN ROLLS
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 to 40 minutes
–1 pound (2 pieces) boneless, skinless chicken breast
–½ cup Italian breadcrumbs
–4 tablespoons shredded Parmesan , divided
–½ teaspoon olive oil
–1 clove garlic, minced
–3 ounces baby spinach
–¼ cup whole-milk ricotta
–Pepper, to taste
–⅛ teaspoon chili flakes
–2 eggs, beaten
–½ cup marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit (230 degrees Celsius). Spray an 11½-inch-by-7½-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut each chicken breast in half crosswise. Lay out evenly on a cutting board and cover with plastic wrap. Pound each halved breast thin with the flat side of a meat mallet or rolling pin.
- In a shallow dish, combine the breadcrumbs and 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan cheese.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil, then the spinach. Cook until just wilted.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add black pepper and chili flakes. Remove from the heat.
- Add the ricotta and remaining Parmesan cheese, and stir to mix.
- Put a spoonful of spinach filling into the center of each flattened chicken breast. Roll each chicken piece up so the edges overlap and create a seam.
- Dip the stuffed chicken into the egg wash. Remove and gently roll in the seasoned breadcrumbs. Place each chicken roll in the baking dish. Be careful to not overcrowd the chicken, otherwise the breadcrumbs will not crisp up.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the chicken has cooked through and browned on top.
- Remove the chicken from oven. Top each chicken breast with marinara sauce and a slice of mozzarella cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese has melted and the sauce begins to bubble.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh-chopped basil.
How delicious do these chicken rolls look? We love all the different types of cheese in there. Have you ever had chicken rolls like these ones before? Any ways you’d change up this recipe?
Recipe slightly adapted from Pinch Of Yum