The only thing better than a marbled cake is a cake that combines vanilla and chocolate by getting a little wild. Take your taste buds on safari with the easy Zebra Cake video recipe from Home Cooking Adventure.
– 4 eggs
– 1 cup sugar
– 1 cup butter, at room temperature
– 1 cup milk
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 3 cups flour
– 2 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, salt and baking powder together. Set aside.
- In another bowl, begin making the chocolate batter by mixing the cocoa powder with 1/4 cup milk and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the butter with 1 cup of sugar until creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix until well incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, gradually alternate adding the 1 cup of milk and the flour, salt and baking powder mixture, until all is well incorporated.
- Remove two cups of this batter and mix them with the cocoa powder mixture to create the chocolate batter.
- Use one tablespoon of each batter to create the layers of batter in the prepared pan. Beginning in the middle of the pan, add one tablespoon of white batter. Add a tablespoon of chocolate batter over it. Repeat this layering until all of the batter has been used. (If you don’t have the patience or the time to make these layers, just add the entirety of one batter on top of the other, and create swirls with a knife or fork for the marbled effect.)
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool for 15 minutes on a cooling rack, then remove from the pan. Serve as is or topped with chocolate glaze.
How much fun does this cake look? Do you think you’ll try to make it? Which way of layering the batters will you use?