Some people are looking to save a few bucks here and there when they can. Others take frugality very seriously and regard it as their way of living. Where do you fall? Somewhere in between?
In any case, there are some tips that seem like no-brainers to the average person looking to save money. Then there are tips like these; tips created for and by extreme frugalistas that are not intended for the faint of heart. In all seriousness though, some of these tips may seem perfectly normal to you and some might just seem a little too out there. No matter which side you’re on, no one is judging. But I thought it would be fun to take a look at some of the wackier and eccentric things that I’ve found that people do to save money. Will you shake your head and laugh or jump on board with any of these ideas? Take a look:
- Water it Down: if you’re trying to stretch out a liquid, water is always a free solution. Some people, including Frugal Dad, stretch out their milk or juice by adding water to it. Some add water to laundry detergent, hand soap and dish soap. But the sky’s the limit. You could even add water to things like spaghetti sauce to increase the time between shopping trips.
- Toilet-Training Your Cat: if you have a cat, do you find yourself spending tons on kitty litter? Apart from making your own kitty litter, there is a crazy way to save on cat costs. Follow in some extreme frugalistas’ (and cat lovers’) footsteps and learn how to toilet-train your kitty.
- Grow Tomatoes in An Old Bra: some larger tomatoes need extra support to grow in your garden. Here’s a frugal way to, well, support them.
- Use Beer to Repel Mosquitoes: this woman saves beer bottles (and even collects them from the side of the road) to hang from tree branches in her yard to repel those pesky insects.
- Move to A Lower Cost Area: if you’re serious about your extreme efforts to save money, it might not be a good idea to live in an area where the cost of living is high. Check out Kiplinger’s list of the 10 least expensive places to live.
- Invest in Some Chickens: this family has the room to raise chickens in their backyard, and the kids even help collect the eggs.
Do you practice any of these techniques? Have any other wacky ideas to add? Let us know in the comments section below, and thanks for being a Tip Hero!
Special thanks to Bankrate!
Photo credit: deborahdegolyer