While browsing the dollar store or a local thrift store, you may find cheap but nice placemats in your travels. But if you’ve already got enough placemats to serve their purpose, you might want to think outside of the box a bit. Here are some creative ways that you can use placemats that you love:
- Sink Accessory Holder: cut out pieces of placemats (in any shape) and use them to line your kitchen sink. Then you’ll have a colorful mat to hold things like kitchen sponges and scrub brushes. Then when your mats get dirty, you can simply throw them in the laundry.
- Mousepad: cut down a sturdy plastic placemat to create a mousepad that looks – and works – great on your desk.
- Wall Art: if you’re in love with a certain decorative placemat, simply frame it and hang it in your kitchen for an unexpected pop of color and/or style.
- Cabinet Liner: instead of using contact paper, use printed placemats as liner in your cabinets.
- Coasters: use one or two sturdy placemats to create a whole stack of decorative coasters.
Find many more ideas over at Homesessive’s Usual Uses for Place Mats.