You know what dessert deserves more love? Macaroons— and no, we don’t mean macarons, either. No, this time we’re definitely talking about the classic coconut cookie, a flour-free treat that often gets overshadowed by its showier, more sugary cousins. Macaroons have been classic holiday desserts for a long time now, and we don’t want to see that tradition ever fade away. We also think that these bite-sized morsels should be ones we enjoy all year long! After all, what tastes more like summer than coconut? Nothing, that’s what. We’ve seen other versions of macaroons made with ground almonds, other nuts, or even potatoes, but for our cookie money, coconut really is the way to go.
Since we were already looking for a recipe that captured everything we like about the coconut cookies without being too tricky, we were extra excited when we saw our friends over on Mumsnet were not only highlighting macaroons, they were showing us a way to make them easier than ever. PLUS, they’ve simplified the ingredients list down to only three items, and neither eggs nor egg whites are on the list.
Mumsnet had this to say about their sweet recipe:
Love coconut macaroons? This quick recipe is almost too easy – simply chuck all three ingredients into a bowl, mix, and bake. A whole batch of tasty, bite-sized treats, ready in a flash. You are welcome.
Thank you, Mumsnet! Watch how easily these macaroons come together, then read on for the recipe and give these classic cookies a try.
Makes 20 bite-sized balls
- 400 grams (4 cups) desiccated (or shredded) coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees Celsius (320 degrees Fahrenheit) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Add all three ingredients to a bowl and mix well, until fully-combined.
- Shape each macaroon into a bite-sized ball, and repeat until all of the mixture is gone. These ingredient quantities should make 20 or more macaroons.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Want extra sweet coconut macaroons? Simply double the vanilla extract to 4 teaspoons!
- If you want to take these macaroons to the next level, you can lovingly dip them in melted chocolate.
Easy, quick and delicious! We love that these macaroons get all of their sweetness from the coconut and vanilla extract, and that you don’t have to add a ton of sugar to make them tasty. If you really want an extra dose of sweetness, you can always add a little bit more vanilla extract, as you see there in the Chef’s Tips, and you also have the incredible option of dipping these macaroons in some melted chocolate after they’re baked. Either way, you’ve got a beautiful, and beautifully easy, take on the traditional that everybody is sure to enjoy.
So, tell us— do you plan on giving these easy, three-ingredient coconut macaroons a try? Have you ever made anything similar before? What other types of macaroons do you like to eat and bake?