Even though the economy seems to be improving slowly but surely, landing a job is still no easy feat. Since the market is highly competitive, falling prey to easily avoidable interview mistakes is a sure way to make sure someone beats you out of a job.
Here are the most common mistakes reported by hiring managers:
- Answering a phone or texting during an interview
- Inappropriate interview attire
- Appearing disinterested
- Appearing arrogant
- Speaking negatively about previous (or current) employers
- Chewing gum
- Not providing specific answers to questions
- Not asking good questions
So what are some techniques for helping you land the job? Here is some general advice from Rosemary Haefner of CareerBuilder:
- Keep it upbeat and positive.
- Prepare for the interview by researching the company thoroughly. Look at the press room for recent announcements and read the “About US” section to learn about company culture.
- Refrain from discussing personal issues and focus on professionalism.
- Practice common interview questions with friends or family members.
Find more information (and some of the most outrageous interview mistakes) over at Money Talks News’ How Not to Land a Job: 18 Interview No-Nos.