Here at Tip Hero, we’re always talking about ways to do things more cheaply, or better yet, for free. However, everyone needs the occasional splurge. That doesn’t mean that blowing hundreds of dollars at the mall is a smart thing to do when you’re in the mood to treat yourself. Sometimes, just $5 or less can go a long way when a little pick-me-up is in order. Here are some of Wise Bread’s best ideas:
- The Ubiquitous Latte: the cost of buying a latte everyday will definitely add up quickly, but the occasional latte as a treat or pick-me-up is another story. Feeling like you need a yummy treat or going out with a friend for a quick date? Opt for a latte at your favorite coffee shop.
- Fresh Flowers: though these don’t last very long, they’re a nice thing to splurge on once in a while. Of course having a garden would allow you to have flowers at your disposal. But if you aren’t growing flowers, less than $5 for a fresh bouquet to brighten your day could be money well-spent.
- An Accessory: if you’re in the mood to splurge on shopping, why not consider getting an inexpensive accessory? At a discount store like TJ Maxx or Marshall’s, or at a thrift store, you could easily walk away with a scarf, belt or piece of costume jewelry for less than $5. And that little thing might just be enough to satisfy your shopping craving…for now.
- Used Books: sure, you can check books out of the library, but sometimes you can score several books at a used book store for less than $5 that you can keep, mark-up, highlight, etc.
- A Cheap Show: whether it’s a comedy or theater show where “donations are accepted,” or a local bar where a band is playing where there’s a $5 cover, the occasional cheap show is a great way to splurge and enjoy a couple of hours of entertainment.
What are your favorite things that you can buy typically for under $5?
For more ideas, head over to Wise Bread’s 15 Fun Things to Buy for Under $5.