It’s just not a summer trip to the beach if you don’t spend at least some of your time there scouring the shore for seashells. But there’s one question we always have when the beachy waves fade away to memory — what should we do with all those shells? Sure, they’re pretty enough on their own, but you can only have so many jars of shells sitting around your home before you want something a little more fun.
Luckily, there are tons of ways to use them! Here are our 15 favorite crafts to make with shells.
Check them out and pick your favorite to make today!
- What’s better than a candle manufactured to smell like the ocean? A candle actually FROM the ocean! All you have to do is pour some melted wax into your shells for one-of-a-kind tea lights. Leave them natural, or spray them gold for a glam effect.
- When you picture a house at the beach, isn’t there
- a wind chime tinkling in the breeze? Bring that feeling home AND use up a whole bunch of seashells at once with this fun project.
- A pineapple is a traditional symbol of hospitality, so what better substitute for the “O” in a sign that bids your guests both a warm welcome and a fond farewell— especially when it’s made out of seashells?!
- Christmas ornaments are full of memories, and this one – a simple glass bulb filled with tiny seashells and sand – will make you think of family vacations while you gather around the tree.
- Hanging up strings on lights is one of the most popular and, by now, traditional ways to add some whimsical décor to a room or porch. Take it to the next level by gluing pairs of matching shells around each bulb, making the perfect lighting for a beachside porch or Christmas in a warmer clime.
- Another way to bring seashells and lights together? A simple night light! It’s perfect for a bathroom or bedroom, and much nicer than similar plastic ones you can get at the store.
- We love wreaths for every season, and what could be more perfect for summer than one made out of seashells? It’s so simple— just glue the shells to a Styrofoam form!
- Remember your vacation every time you make dinner or grab a snack! All you need is some red paint, pipe cleaners, googly eyes and hot glue. You can also go green and make turtles instead. Either way, adorable!
- What better way to show off a photo of your beach vacation than a shadow box filled with the shells you collected there?
- You can use your seashells as tools, too! They make an excellent stamp for projects like these Seashell Pillows.
- Gild the inside of larger shells to make little dishes perfect for jewelry, paperclips, or even salt and pepper!
- Getting married on the beach, or just want an oceanic feel to the flowers around your home? Mix seashells into the bouquets for a pretty, shore-worthy look.
- A true land-and-sea combo! When glued to a weathered terra cotta pot, you get that “beach cottage” look no matter where in the world you live.
- What better way to show off your shells than to make them the perfect summer accessory? All you need to make these hairpins are some bobby pins, epoxy, and clear nail polish.
- Another great way to wear those shells? A necklace fit for a mermaid! You can apply liquid leaf silver, as she does in this tutorial, or just seal the shell and leave its color as-is for a more natural look.
We love that we finally have uses for all those seashells we bring home every summer. We’re definitely going to be making those Christmas ornaments immediately. Which one is your favorite? Grab even more ideas from this list on DIY & Crafts and tell us how YOU like to use the seashells you collect.