Consumer Reports recently posted 10 ways to keep your heating bill costs down this winter:
- “Lock in your price for natural gas or heating oil.”
- “Check for federal tax incentives” and the “cash for clunkers for appliances rebate program.”
- Try for a free energy audit — or “hire a reputable firm”.
- Check “easy-to-correct problems”, such as “changing or cleaning furnace filters and dusting heat registers or baseboard radiators…”
- Consider space heaters and electric blankets.
- Check out the “federal government’s pending cash for caulkers program.”
- “Keep heated air inside your home and conserve energy.”
- “Insulate your attic and minimize the stack effect.”
- “Buy an effective programmable thermostat and install it yourself.”
- Consider a “tankless water heater or a solar water heater.”
For more details on each of these tips above, including lots of useful links, click the link below.
Homepage photo credit: parislemon