Every once in awhile we come across an article that explains how you can feed X number of people for under X dollars. And while Tip Heroes often challenge the article by posting ways to make meals for even less (and we hope this is one of those occasions!), we still find inspiration and motivation every time we see one of these articles and feel an obligation to pass them on to our smart, creative, and crafty frugal friends.
The cooking blog “the kitchn” has a piece about 10 ways to feed 10 people for under $20.
The ground rules for this list: It will include a main dish and a side dish — no drinks. We listed desserts separately; many fruit-based and baked desserts are inexpensive and will also keep your budget under $20…
…This list admittedly does not allow for the most high-quality meats. If you are going to buy fresh, grass-fed ground beef, for instance, you will probably go over-budget. But consider this list a starting point, and buy the best-quality ingredients you can afford.
We’ve listed the 10 meal ideas below, but click through the link at the bottom of this post for the recipes and more.
- The Potluck
- Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce + Grilled Vegetable Mix
- Pulled Pork Wraps + Cabbage Salad
- Homemade Pizza + Green Salad
- Bean and Rice Burritos + Fried Plantains
- Cheese and Spinach Frittatas + Biscuits
- Pancake Bar + Fruit Slices
- Chicken Thighs in Balsamic Vinegar + Roasted Carrots
- Grain Salad with Roasted Vegetables + Miso Soup
- Stew + Fresh Bread